A campaign to get Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead to number 1 has failed.
The campaign was launched following the death of Margaret Thatcher on the April 8. However the single was held off the top spot by Duke Dumont and A*M*E and their single Need You (100%). This is the song’s second week at number 1.
The Wizard Of Oz track reached number 2 in the charts, following a week of downloads and campaigning to get the single to the number 1 spot.
The song sold 52,605 over the past seven days, and was just over 5,700 copies behind Need U (100%) by the end of the week. In response to the campaign, fans of Margaret Thatcher retaliated by downloading the Notsensibles track, I’m In Love With Margaret Thatcher. This peaked at number 35 in the charts.
At 51 seconds long, Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead has become the shortest song to make it into the UK Top 40.
There was debate throughout the week on whether or not the BBC should play the track in full, should it reach number 1. However it was decided that the a snippet of the track would be played during the news after the chart show had aired.
This week’s official Top 10:
1. Duke Dumont feat. A*M*E – Need U (100%)
2. The Wizard Of Oz Film Cast – Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead
3. P!nk feat. Nate Reuss – Just Give Me A Reason
4. Bastille – Pompeii
5. Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera – Feel This Moment
6. Nelly – Hey Porsche
7. Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
8. The Saturdays feat. Sean Paul – What About Us
9. Taylor Swift – 22
10. Bruno Mars – When I Was Your Man